Smartphones are Catching Alight
We’ve all seen the news stories about batteries catching fire; from smartphones to hoverboards and vape cigarettes. With that in mind, it’s a surprise how many consumers don’t consider the hazard of combusting batteries when they throw an old gadget in general waste.
Quite often phones, laptops and tablets are thrown into general waste rather than being recycled properly. We’re usually reminding consumers about the hazard they pose to the environment, but rarely do we mention the danger of combustion.
The Danger Of e-Waste
In 2017 in California, the state blamed an astonishing 65% of fires at waste facilities on gadgets. With such staggeringly high statistics, they have launched a campaign to raise awareness. It’s likely there are factors like warm weather contributing to this, but it doesn’t mean we’re exempt from the same issues here in the UK.
Last year in New York a waste collector was put at risk as a battery exploded; this happened as the truck began to crush the waste together to make more space. Something that could easily happen here in the UK.
Airlines around the world were quick to ban the use of mobile phone brands and models which were notorious for catching alight. Although the issue was resolved and devices were replaced it’s not uncommon.
Charging Your Phone at Night
Millions of mobile users keep their phone by the bed at night, or even under their pillow; however, this can have fatal consequences. It’s now advised that consumers don’t leave phones on charge overnight in case they catch fire. The plug can even catch alight when it’s left plugged in, switched on but with no phone attached.
Recycling Your Gadgets Safely
Unfortunately, its’ something which is unpredictable; you may have had a phone for a matter of weeks and something goes wrong, or you could have had it for years.
If you’re planning to dispose of your old device, the safest option is to use services like Cash In Your Gadgets. We can ensure your phone is safely recycled, helping to prevent landfill fires caused by old tech.